Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only
Filter by Custom Post Type
HQ

Toronto, Canada

312 Adelaide Street West, Suite 301
Toronto, Ontario - M5V 1R2
Canada
Fine Print

SLN Weekly: Student News Digest No.4

Written by Phaedra Corrente

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a compendium of useful, student-related, or otherwise cool news right at your disposal? I mean, the happenings of the outside world aren’t limited to our Facebook feeds, and it’s not exactly efficient to scour a dozen blogs and news sources just to see their latest content.

So we did something about that.

Enter the SLN weekly, a weekly publication containing articles we thought were helpful, relevant, or just batshit crazy (and therefore worthy of mention).

We think you’ll really get a kick out of these stories, but if you feel that something’s missing, don’t hesitate to tell us—we want the digest to be as useful and non-lame as humanly possible.

In case you missed it, click here to see last week’s digest!

Alex van der Valk is ‘Canada’s Luckiest Student’

CBC News

“Alex van der Valk got a huge surprise Sunday afternoon in Bedford when she was crowned Canada’s Luckiest Student, a prize worth more than $100,000.”

Taylor Swift is getting her own mobile game

Engadget

“The company that’s famous for making Kim Kardashian: Hollywood has announced that it’s making a mobile game inspired by Taylor Swift.”

Halifax university student gets 10 minutes with Justin Trudeau, leaves underwhelmed

CBC News

“The warmth and charm of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau didn’t impress Halifax university student Charlotte Kiddell when she questioned him for a special CBC program. ”

Selfie Trend Put Into Perspective: The Total Number Of Selfie-Related Deaths Since 2014

All That Is Interesting

“Even if you’re not among the 95% of millennials that take selfies, you know that the selfie is the reigning king of amateur photography. According to a wave of recent reporting, the prevalence of selfies is utterly staggering: the average millennial will take 25,700 in their lifetime; it is claimed that females aged 16 to 25 spend five hours taking selfies per week; and on average, 93 million selfies are taken worldwide each day. But perhaps the most shocking statistic involves a far smaller number: 49. That’s the number of people that have died taking a selfie since just 2014.”

Canada’s Students Present a Pathway to Eliminating Tuition

News Wire

“A paper released today by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives outlines a clear path towards accessible post-secondary education in Canada. Eliminating Tuition and Compulsory Fees for Post-Secondary Education provides a plan for how Canada can ensure a strong future with progressive policies.”

Throwing Shade: The Science of Resting Bitch Face

Noldus

“We all know the face. No, not just the face, but that face. That look that she swears is not a look. She says she’s not angry; she reassures you she’s having fun. But her face has been “throwing shade” all night – without saying anything, that face is indicating that she is not happy […] But way beyond the cultural norms and cruel jokes, we have to ask: is there something more to RBF?”

Fun fact: Noldus also published a “FaceReader” on their website so you can find out if you, yourself, have RBF. Check it out and test yourself!

How I Became a Morning Person, Learned a New Language, and Read 5x More Books in 2015

Buffer

“The great thing about this story is that anyone can have such an impressive outcome, and it’s not at all as daunting as it might sound. In fact, all these outcomes came from doing small things every day over a long period […] There are four principles I try to stick by whenever I’m building a new habit. Through everything I’ve tried, these are the principles that seem to work every time.”

Lifehack: How To Read A Book In A Day

Bustle

“How does one go about devouring literature? Say what you will about the allures of binge watching, but I’ll take binges by book, any day. If there’s one key to reading a lot, it’s reading efficiently. For me, that means reading a book in a day. Here’s how to get the job done in 20 easy steps.”

What have you read recently that’s worth sharing? Post some links in the comments below. We’ll check out every single one (for real).

*Opinions expressed are those of the author, and not necessarily those of Student Life Network or their partners.